Thursday, April 15, 2010

Words of wisdom from my father.

Post 467 - For some reason, I woke up thinking about my late father this morning. He's been dead for 25-years now and was always a man of few words when he was alive. However, what he said was always worth listening to and I learned many life lessons from him. My mother, on the other hand, taught me about behavior modification: "Stop acting like your father!"

Anyway, I remember him fondly and here's some of what he tried to teach me:

• The world doesn't pay off on effort . . . it pays off on results.

• You'll never choke to death swallowing your pride.

• You are what you do, not what you say you are.

• If you burn your bridges, you'd better be a real good swimmer.

• Education is like exercise. As soon as you quit, you begin to lose the benefits.

• If you win, say little. If you lose, say less.

• You’re judged by what you finish, not by what you start.

• Winning is sweeter when you've played the game fairly.

• Always stand up for what you know in your heart is right.

• Family comes first, above all else.

• Work at what you love, do your absolute best and be happy.

• Live within your means.

• Always buy “the good article.”

• Women appreciate a man who knows how to dance.

I will open my mouth in a parable. I will utter dark sayings of old.
Things that we have heard and known that our fathers told us
We will not hide them from their children, but tell it to the coming generations.

- Psalm 78: 1-4

No comments: