Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Getting started....

To paraphrase an Oscar Wilde character, one should keep a blog these days to have something sensational to read on the train. I am interested in many things and plan to write most days about what I find interesting and/or amusing. I will also include reflections about the business of business which I have studied close-up and personal for the past 50-years. As you will see, those who dive deeper tend to come up muddier….

A well-written blog, column, story or book forces readers to imagine different places, to confront their personal beliefs and to make judgements. To read is to think, which is hardly a passive activity. The best writers have always sought to elevate, to make complex subjects entertaining, or to make entertaining subjects complex. John Adams wife, Abigail, now there was a marvelous woman: in the middle of writing a letter, she excuses herself, has a baby and then continues her letter……..

So, here we go - starting with an Irish story:
McQuillan walked into a bar and ordered martini after martini, each time removing the olives and placing them in a jar. When the jar was filled with olives and all the drinks consumed, the Irishman started to leave. "S'cuse me," said a customer, who was puzzled over what McQuillan had done, "What was that all about?" "Nothin', said the Irishman, "My wife just sent me out for a jar of olives!"

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the way you write. I can't wait to see what else you come up with!

Bueller

Jay Sea said...

This is great. More More More!