Friday, November 28, 2008

The Difficulty that is Marriage, a poem by Paul Durcan.

Paul Durcan is one of the most completely original voices in Irish poetry. He was born in Dublin in 1944 and was educated at University College, Cork. He’s won the Patrick Kavanagh Award, the Irish American Cultural Institute Poetry Award, The Whitebread Prize, and the London Poetry Book Society choice for The Berlin Wall CafĂ©.
I was looking for a poem suitable for Thanksgiving, and since I give thanks each year for my family above all else, and especially for my sainted wife, this poem seemed to fit the bill very nicely.

The Difficulty that is Marriage by Paul Durcan.

We disagree to disagree, we divide, we differ;
Yet each night as I lie in bed beside you
And you are far away curled up in sleep
I array the moonlit ceiling with a mosaic of question-marks;
How was it I was so lucky to have ever met you?
I am no brave pagan proud of my mortality,
Yet gladly on this changeling earth I should live for ever
If it were with you, my sleeping friend.
I have my troubles and I shall always have them
But I should rather live with you for ever
Than exchange my troubles for a changeless kingdom.
But I do not put you on a pedestal or throne;
You must have your faults but I do not see them.
If it were with you, I should live for ever.

No comments: