Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Don't worry, be happy.

Post 355 - Living in uncertain times can often cause anxiety and unhappiness. That's a good time to remember legendary UCLA basketball coach John Wooden’s strategy for finding happiness. He says the key is to make and keep the following nine promises:

1. Promise yourself that you'll talk health, happiness and prosperity as often as possible.

2. Promise yourself to make sure all your friends know there's something about them that's special and that you value.

3. Promise to think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best from yourself and others.

4. Promise to be just as enthusiastic about the successes of others as you are about your own.

5. Promise yourself to be so strong that nothing can disturb your peace of mind.

6. Promise to forget the mistakes of the past and to press on to greater achievements in the future.

7. Promise to wear a cheerful appearance at all times and to give everyone you meet a smile.

8. Promise to give so much time to improving yourself that you'll have no time to criticize others.

9. Promise to be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit trouble to press on you.

As cited by Coach Wooden, these nine promises focus on four themes;
- be positive in whatever you do,
- always do your best,
- be a good friend to others, and finally,
- develop an inner strength that will keep you from losing your focus on your goals.

Words to Forget:
- I can't
- I'll try
- I have to
- I should have
- If only
- Problem
- Difficult
- Stressed
- I, me, my
- Yes, but...
- Hate

I challenge you to join me in working to remove these words from both your mental and verbal vocabulary.

No comments: